View Single Post
Old 01-20-2022, 07:12 AM

Default Pro Tools 2021 playback engine assertion error, now missing interfaces

Pro Tools isn’t recognizing any interface beyond Pro Tools Aggregate I/O and my display monitor’s headphone output.

I have a UAD Apollo system, two x8ps and a Twin, which chain together with Thunderbolt from a CalDigit Thunderbolt Dock. The computer is a M1 Mini (Silicon). Pro Tools is a subscription and the latest version. The Thunderbolt chain goes Mac Mini > CalDigit > x8p > x8p > Twin. The dock is used mostly to get the length from the computer to the interfaces and was recommended by UAD.

I was working in Pro Tools with no issues yesterday until I rebooted to solve a hang. I opened the session again and received an assertion error (“Could not complete the Playback Engine command because Assertion in "/Users/autobld/gitlabci/PT/release/2021/r2/ProTools/DFW/Views/UMenu.MacOS.mm”). From there I tried all of these things:

* Rebooted, same issue
* Restarted Pro Tools while holding “N”—this brought up the Playback Engine but this is when all the interfaces disappeared other than the ones mentioned above
* Uninstalled and reinstalled the UA software, no change
* Reinstalled UA firmware, no change
* Deleted Pro Tools preferences, no change
* Uninstalled and reinstalled Pro Tools, no change
* Deleted Pro Tools preferences again—the assertion error came back
* Restarted Pro Tools while holding “N”, again—Playback Engine is back, all interfaces are missing again

Most of this time I was assuming the UA drivers weren’t loading correctly or there was an issue with the Thunderbolt chain but at this point I loaded Logic Pro and found that all the interfaces were recognized by and working fine in it.

At this point I’m not sure what else to try other than restoring my computer from yesterday’s backup (when everything seemed to be working) or finishing the session in Logic. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated!