View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Anyone using Dante Virtual Soundcard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
I work for a gear manufacturer and we use Dante Virtual Soundcard all the time for easily getting audio out of a computer for demo purposes.

I absolutely wouldn't use it for tracking- the lowest latency value achievable is:

4ms (for DVS) + 32 samples (for audio buffer) + 150us (for Dante converters).
This is one way.
I used to track with DVS all the time. Doing recordings of live performances I've tracked as many as 40+ channels at a time (using something other than Protools of course).

I don't give a rat's ass if the latency is 1 nano second or 10 seconds, as long as the tracks get written every time.

Now we're using our Focusrite units and an HDX system so I don't have a need for DVS in our main recording rig any more.

My problem lately with DVS is that there seems to be some odd and unexplainable errors where the sample rate seems to change without warning and without actually indicating a change. I've not had any problems using actual real Dante hardware units, but DVS seems to be presenting some randoms errors with Mac OS X on too regular a basis for me to be comfortable these days.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One