View Single Post
Old 07-22-2019, 09:46 AM

Default Re: NVMe upgrade for Mac Pro 4.1/5.1 Mojave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancemcv View Post
Hey Darryl, I see what your saying about the switch ability, a very interesting card option indeed. I currently have a 256 gig m.2 AHCI which I get about 1300 read / write. I only use it for my system and currently still on High Sierra as I have a flashed 980ti. Happy with performance at the moment but that card looks like a great choice. I saw one review saying they had issues if they only had one drive installed in it. I personally like smaller system drives as cloning is super fast for backup and don’t do any recording or editing on my system drive.
Please provide links to articles pointing out possible issues so it helps folks. I am
Not aware of any single drive issues with those cards, but that does not mean they don’t exist.

Fast cloning of a small boot drive is a good example of using partitions/drives to optimize backup. Certainly a trade off in decisions. For some people incremental clones get around this, for others yes keeping it small is a good choice. One thing I use to do for example is clone the small boot drive back onto partitions on external audio and sample drives. That way you end up with lots of recovery options always at your fingertips.