View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 06:38 AM

Default Best Replacement Motherboard For Quad Core Q6600 Build?

I have come to the conclusion that my motherboard (Asus P5K-E WiFi Open Box from New Egg - Could be the reason) has to be the culprit of all of my Desktop Pro-Tools woes (have been doing most sessions on my laptop as of late), and wanted to inquire about which motherboard (if not the same, but working) would be the BEST choice for PT 8.0.1. Of course I am and will be running XP SP3.

All I want to do is replace the motherboard and RAM (Currently using 667MHz DDR2, it was suggested I go for the 1066MHz minimum). Nothing else. I do not wish to upgrade to an i7 yet (too expensive for the system I'd want). Which suggestions do you have?

1) Asus P5Q
2) Asus P5Q Turbo
3) Asus P5K-E
4) Asus P5K-E-Wifi (as a direct replacement)
5) Something else?

I know I will get flack for this, but I want to build a system which will allow me to do whatever I want AND run Pro-Tools. Many of you claimed to have Asus systems with you having EVERYTHING ENABLED and still running PT into the ground WITHOUT errors (my ancient Asus P4B533 was able to run 6.1 with everything enabled without issue).

Looking for your suggestions thanks. Wifi is essential for me. Would you all suggest getting another working Asus P5K Wifi? I will not even look at an i7 system until I am able to afford outfitting it with SSDs only.

Background - Purchased an Asus P5K Wifi In September Of 2008. This system was NEVER stable. I had what I think were two SATA ports blow out (nothing connected to them would ever be recognized by the BIOS). With PT installed, there would be tons of CPU Spikes, Errors, even with only the stock plug ins installed. I disabled all networking devices, onboard audio, onboard firewire, updated to the latest drivers, adjusted RAM timings updated the BIOS with no accord. My PSU is an Antec 550W. After two years of tinkering with this system and never being able to get through a full session, it would have to be nothing else BUT the motherboard.
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core