View Single Post
Old 11-01-2004, 11:20 AM

Default 16bit or 24bit, 44.1 or 48, how should I operate?

I'm doing pop/r&b/dance tunes (drum-machines/synths/workstations and vocals..some multi-layered background vox).

Also, I'm using the mBox with an emachines m6810 (AMD Athlon 64) +3200 laptop with the stock 512MB memory.

As mentioned, the sound sources are sequencer/workstations (Roland XP-50, Korg Triton, etc), drummachines (some oldies like the Linn LM-1, Roland CR-8000, E-mu SP-12, SCI Drumtraks, etc), and alot of different synths (Juno's, Moogs, XP-50/JV-2080/JD-800, etc), and good 'ole "analog" human vocals (hehe).

What should I be using for my new sessions, 16-bit or 24-bit, and 44.1 or 48 sampling rates?

A few production partners are using the digi002 rack (and 001) with mac G4 and G5 systems. I think they might be using the higher settings (some that are not even possible on the mbox), maybe because they are available, or maybe because they also do some film/video production (i hear that the higher settings are better/required for those apps).

Will I still be ok working with their projects/sessions, if we have differing settings? We plan to swap sessions back and forth on some tunes, adding tracks and overdubs, etc as we go.

What's best for my setup/situation?

What's best (if different from the first answer) for our common working arrangment on these shared sessions/tunes?

Thanx so much for any info/advice.