View Single Post
Old 10-20-2021, 06:09 PM

Default Has anyone tried Pro Tools 2021.7 on the Monterey Betas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
I have a 2010 5,1 MacPro that is my workhorse PT machine. The laptop is for general office type tasks but I’d eventually like to get a portable PT setup going on it.
Are you tied to PCIE slots or large amounts of RAM?

You’re going to find that your new laptop will run rings around that MP. Relegating it to office duties is criminal! HAHAHA

It’s funny though. So many people still getting a lot of mileage out of the old MP towers. I jumped on one a few weeks back to help a colleague with some RX work and was just gob smacked by how slow renders were on that machine compared to my 6 core Intel Mini. Like really slow in comparison.

I guess if you’re just running mix sessions with DSP or need the RAM and slots, then yeah, you can still squeeze some mileage out of them. But comparing them to a machine with modern architecture and they really do feel sluggish. Can only imagine what it will be like with these new M1 Pro/Max laptops.

My jaw dropped at how fast the M1 MBA I bought my partner is. I wanted to put PT on there for *****s and giggles but never got round to it. Probably a good thing as I’d likely want to get another one. =P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk