Thread: Dolby Atmos
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Dolby Atmos

Hi, Peter-
I'm just the tech engineer in the Creative Services department, I don't (and can't, because I don't know) really speak publicly for the company on product development and future features - but I'll try to answer you as best I can.
Quote:
Is is possible to go back and forth between Atmos and a 'regular' 5.1 or 7.1 surround session, eg if people collaborate on one and the same project where one facilty has Atmos whereas the other is still on regular 5.1, or are the object tracks proprietary for Atmos (meaning they can't be 'folded down' to 5.1 without losing automation information specific for Atmos)?
The object panning metadata for the objects isn't stored in Pro Tools, it's stored in the RMU, outside of Pro Tools. Therefore, both rooms would need a Dolby Atmos setup. However, we have no problem premixing for Dolby Atmos in Creative Services' 7.1 mix room, which is far more likely in my experience...

Quote:
Is there going to be a "THX" certification for Atmos theaters or something similar?
I'm not sure/don't know - I generally find out stuff like that very shortly before the press/show/general public, when my department is asked to put together a video for the tradeshow...

And for Alexander -

Quote:
What for stands the specification 9.1? It is mentioned all over the Dolby Docs.

Is it right that the "big start" for Atmos is 2013 (sales launch of the RMU and cinema processors)?
9.1 is Left, Right, Center, LFE, Left Side Surround, Right Side Surround, Left Back Surround, Right Back Surround, and Left Overhead, Right Overhead channels.

I definitely can't speak to full release dates, or what bit's coming out exactly when - that's well above my rank (I generally help making shiny tradeshow videos)... I'm sure there will be official company communiques forthcoming.
Sorry for all the disclaimer text, I want to be totally helpful, but clear where I'm coming from.
San Francisco, CA