View Single Post
Old 03-04-2023, 02:57 PM

Default Re: ProTools Reference Level Settings (+10 dBu vs +24 dBu)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhant Bhatia View Post
When I hit +10dbu - speaker level
When I hit +24dbu - line level - the levels are beautiful and the knob is a lot lower - but in only a 'few' pro tools sessions I am hearing MASSIVE distortion (proper digital clipping) on both speaker out and headphone out.
You are missing a big part of the description: what exact amplifier and speakers or audio monitors do the output of this monitor controller connect to? What are the input specs on those?... start by setting your Omni accordingly. Any weird things happening, test with the monitor controller out of the signal path.

The SMC 7.1 controller specs max input as "+22dBu" without any hard spec (e.g. distortion specs or a distortion graph) clarification of what that means. And it's likely to mean God awful signal degradation near that, so no surprises if you are just driving that too hot.

Is your output actually clipping? Does a clip light go on on the master fader? Is a plugin getting slammed earlier in the Pro Tools signal chain? If you are getting digital clipping you should see it inside Pro Tools. Setting the Omni analog line output level will not change if something is digitally clipping or not. So it's something else happening or you are not noticing the clipping at lower SPL. But if you suspect digital clipping use Pro Tools and track it down.

Have you calibrated your monitors? At what target SPL? If not get a SPL meter and doing a calibration is likely time well spent and a good learning exercise.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-04-2023 at 06:18 PM.