View Single Post
Old 08-13-2021, 12:53 AM

Default Re: can I have pt10 and a monthly on the same ilok

By renaming an earlier Mac version of Pro Tools, you can then install multiple versions on the same drive – see:

2021.6 install on the same drive as 2020.9.1
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=415947

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
Just rename the older version of the app file within the Applications folder, then install the new version. You will then have both installed. The driver and firmware updates are usually backward compatible. I often use PT Prefs app to make a back up of my old prefs files for the old version, in case something gets whacky. And, most importantly, I always make a bootable clone using Carbon Copy Cloner before installing the new version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
And of course, you can guarantee that different PT versions using the same prefs and libs and stuff won't cause problems?
Have you jumped between versions much to verify?
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
I use Pete Gate's app PT Prefs to back up my prefs in general. Then, when I am installing a new version, I duplicate the backup folder and label it with the PT version so I have a backup of the backup that's tied to a specific version. That way, if I need to roll back, I know I have a clean set of prefs that are known to work with a specific version.
But I actually haven't had many if any issues jumping back and forth between versions. Of course, there are certain version jumps where there can be certain incompatibilities, like a version where they re-wrote the Workspace Catalog databases, and once updated, they couldn't be reverted. But on first launch of the new version, PT threw up a warning and suggested backing up the old database in case the conversion to the new format got corrupted. I don't really use Workspace Catalogs, so it wasn't an issue for me.

iLok
You can have all your Pro Tools licenses on one iLok
To use Pro Tools 10/11, you may have to Deactivate Pro Tools 12 in the latest version of iLok License Manager (and later Activate when needed)
After adding or moving a license, right-click on the iLok in the LH column of iLok License Manager and select “Synchronize” – this takes a short while.
Once done, exit iLok License Manager, reboot, launch Pro Tools
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * Studio One Pro 6.6 * Harrison Mixbus 10 Pro * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 & Air 32 MINI * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock * 3 TB Samsung SSDs * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop & 24” BENQ LED GL2450-B & Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor