View Single Post
Old 01-11-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Re: # of Voices per DSP Problem

I'm using a powerbook/expansion chassis combo here, as mentioned in my top post. I recently went through the process of rebuilding the magma 4-slot expansion chassis I'm using. It too is out of warranty. Replaced the cardbus adapter, the expansion cable (got the new HD version), 4 slot backplane and expansion host adapter. The only other thing left in the box was the power supply and the load resistor...And a couple of Hard Drives. (BTW I don't use a pci firewire card. I just mount the HD's and the granite digital FW bridge in the chassis and run a FWv cable to the PBook) Had all new parts in this thing and the problem (a different one than we are working on here) went away....but this new problem arose.

You are probably wondering what the original problem was. Here goes, when recording in to ProTools, I would get small ticks/waveform offsets (mabe one or two every couple minutes) that were printed into the track. After tons of Core and Process card testing, I was able to isolate the problem to the expansion chassis. So with Magma's help, I was able to carefully rebuild the PCI setup. I was able to isolate the problem to something in the Expansion Card inside the chassis (the one the 1.5 meter HD exp. cable attaches to) So I was able to fix that problem, I can finally record without printing these digital errors.

That brings us to where we are now.

Can the PCMCIA slot in a powerbook go bad? This thing is about 15months old. Has been treated well. The Apple Diagnostic test says everything is cool.

I'll try setting my system up again in this Quicksilver 867 G4 tower my sister loaned me.

I'm so tired of this. I just wanna make music...I'm sure you've heard that wine many a time.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help so far.

www.shirkmusic.com
www.hearya.com

MacPro 12core 3.46Ghz (5,1)
OSX v10.14
48GB RAM
1x HDX
2x HD i/o 16x16, 1x Digi192 8in/16out
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 on HDX