View Single Post
Old 02-02-2023, 09:54 PM

Default Re: Is this a bug? MIDI quantize

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmusic View Post
Let’s see if I can explain this clearly. So create a VI of any drum or whatever you have. Show real time properties in the main arrangement on your Drum track. Click the quantize button to 1/16. It automatically quantizes your tracks if you have in on. I usually have this on in my template so I don’t have to manually quantize. Now go to the midi editor and try to draw in 1/32 or whatever you like. Say you wanna add say hi hats that are 1/32 in the midi editor. Note values seem to snap to the real time properties quantize notes. Makes sense?
It sounds like it is working exactly as it should. When you are using MIDI Realtime properties, it will continue to be applying those properties to the clip/track that you are working on. So since you have it set to 16th notes, any note you put in, will continue to be quantized to a 16th note spot. It is still possible to input notes to the 32nd grid if you change your preferences. Go to "Set-up - Preferences...- MIDI (Tab)... and under basics is a checkbox for "Display Events as Modified by Real-Time Properties". If you uncheck that, then when you play things on the MIDI tracks, they will show out of time, but they will play back according to the Real Time Properties that you have. So even though you will be able to now write notes on the 32nd grid, they will still play back on the 16th note grid.

For what you are trying to do, I would consider looking into using "Input Quantize" instead of realtime properties. Go to "Event - Event Operations - Input Quantize". In that window, Check the box "Input Quantize" Then set the Quantize grid to 16th note. (If you haven't already, turn off your realtime properties for Quantize). Now record some MIDI and you will see that your notes will automatically line up to the 16th Grid like it did when you were using Real Time Properties. But now since it is no longer constantly quantizing in Real Time, you can now add 32nd notes, triplets, or whatever you want.

I hope that makes sense and works for you.

One tip that I use all the time. If you use Input Quantize and you want to restore the MIDI recording to what you actually played, then in Event Operations, go to "Restore Performance" and Make sure "Timing (Quantization)" is turned on and then hit Apply. I assigned this to a keyboard shortcut so that I can quickly unquantize or restore something that has been quantized to it's original state.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio