View Single Post
Old 09-21-2021, 08:05 PM

Default Re: HDX Classic / Hybrid engine low latency bus routing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDorn View Post
Thanks men for your reply!

I was guessing already that protools would disable the virtual instrument when that instrument channel is routed to an AUX that is placed on the DSP path.

Indeed disabling the output delay compensation on the bus solves the delay while playing /recording. However if I punch in on an instrument track that already contains recorded material on it, it’s a true hell to listen to, and then I rather route it away from the bus directly to the monitor path and route it back when done recording.

There seems to be sort of an exemption for time-based non-dsp plug-ins like reverbs that can be set to DSP-safe mode, so they will stay ‘live’ when tracks are in DSP mode. If that could be done for virtual instruments also, that would be great.

LUNA (that new daw of universal audio) solves it by placing instrument (and also audio) tracks directly to the monitor path as soon as you record enable a track with their ARM mode enabled. So there are daws that already know how to manage handling of virtual instrument playability within a hybrid/DSP based mixing workflow. I hope it could be implemented in Pro Tools as well since I’m no way as fast in other DAWs as in pro tools.
I should have been clearer in my reply - I am specifically talking about the Hybrid engine. Pro Tools DSP systems in classic mode have allowed VIs to feed directly into DSP mix engines for many, many, many years. It doesn't create a low latency monitoring environment, though. It is perhaps the worst of both native & DSP worlds in a sense, as it adds the native sample buffer of the VI to the inherent latency of the DSP mix engine together, making the latency worse than either native or DSP alone.

I suspect that is why the Hybrid engine works the way it does. The Safe-Mode of time-based effects is something altogether different again. Even in Pro Tools DSP systems in Classic mode, it is very common to put native reverb plugins on aux channels with little consequence to latency. It gets perceived as pre-delay in the reverb rather than ping of latency. Fewer and fewer software developers even make DSP reverbs as a result. It doesn't reduce latency... it just keeps native plugins in the monitor path.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.