View Single Post
Old 08-28-2022, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Documentation Folder updates

Thanks for your reply. I'll answer your questions, but I don't think any of them have a bearing on the original query....

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Hmmm, not sure, but I have 1 question/concern; Are you putting your sessions into your documents folder(this is the default setting)? I would change that(use the Prompt for Location option for new sessions). Just my opinion, but, assuming your system drive is an SSD, I would create a new folder for all your sessions and back that folder up as a separate item.
No, I don't use the default location for these - most of my stuff is in Documents/Studio One/Songs because that's where S1 puts stuff, and so I didn't want PT things somewhere different. It hasn't caused a problem. I make a new sub-folder for each new song (well, I let PT make a new folder). I include [PT] in the title to distinguish it from [R] - Reaper and [L] Logic and no designation - Studio One. Too many DAWs over the years.

Quote:

My reasons are:
1-So your session backups are kept separate(there are a few reasons why this would be my choice), though I don't know if this will affect your direct issue.
2-I just prefer some things to be separated.
3-I would also be backing up your system(separate from your sessions).
I back up my entire internal SSD drive to an external disk on a regular basis (about once a month) and the Documents folder after every music session (to a different disk). I also backup my entire Documents folder to Dropbox (in realtime) and to iDrive overnight. Yes, that's 5 copies including the orginal.. I've never lost a thing.

Quote:
With this in mind, I would also move current sessions to the new "Sessions" folder. Of course, all of this also assumes you have only the single SSD. With non-SSD or multiple drives, I might choose to do this differently.
I don't intend to move my sessions as they are huge (in aggregate) and it would require re-syncing of all my backups, which takes literally weeks from scratch. Unless, of course, there's some good reason to NOT have my sessions in the current folder.

Quote:
But wait, there's more If you are creating your own Session Templates and Track Presets(and by all means, you should), keep copies of those somewhere else than the Documents folder(an external drive is a good choice). Why? Because every time you install Pro Tools, it will install all the stock(and mostly useless) stuff, which you can feel free to delete immediately after the install(along with maybe deleting Avid Link as well)

Unbelievably, I don't create any templates or presets. I probably should, but I always build everything from nothing. But I take your point - if I create some, I need to preserve them in a place where they won't get overwritten.
And yes, Avid Link and Avid Cloud Services go as soon as I've finished the install. They are quite nicely written de-installers!

Thanks for your time in replying.

Dominic