View Single Post
Old 01-20-2015, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Stems vs Multitracks

But words like "stem" sound so professional!

They make you sound like a "real" engineer...unless you're referring to multi-tracks...in which case using "stems" makes you sound like a total poser...or just a total idiot!

I had a "rather spirited discussion" on another board regarding the terms "wet" and "dry"...

Back when I was learning about this stuff, "dry" meant just the raw track, while "wet" referred to the track plus any effects that will be used.

But...

It turns out that, when referring to sampled drums, "wet" means the room mikes are being used in the mix, while "dry" means the room mikes are not being used. The presence or absence of effects does not enter into the equation.

Oh, and that assumes the term "wet" is not being used to describe some nebulous stylistic concept. Or, as one of the rocket surgeons on that thread said, "the drums sound like they're wet". Huh?

I have seen "Blue Man Group" several times, ergo, I have heard "drums that sound like they're wet"...as part of their act they used drums that had the space between the batter head and the top of the rim filled with a "paint-like" substance...it makes a great visual effect, but sonically...it makes a great visual effect, which is why the drumset player doubles the licks.

There are times I am glad I'm old, and won't be around much longer...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh