View Single Post
Old 01-18-2023, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Update to Ventura changed format of an external HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLouis View Post
Thanks. I'm a bit confused. I don't understand why the format suddenly changed.
Any ways. I just read on Google that I have to backup the HD, then reformat it. In that case, is it better backup to the Mac HD, or to iCloud?
I started to buck up to the Mac HD. Then reformat the external HD using APFS as suggested.
Am I right? Any suggestion? (I'm afraid of losing something in the process) Thanks again
There is absolutely no way the format just changed to NTFS. It would have taken somebody working on a PC with third party HFS+ compatible software or on a Mac with NFTS compatible software some time to copy off the files, reformat the drive and put the files back. So before you go any further and potentially cause harm, are you sure you are looking at the correct drives? This was not some other drive? The drive could not have been accidentally swapped by you or others? This NTFS format drive really contain the data you think it should? Session names, sizes, file creation/modification dates make sense? etc. Power off your Mac, remove all external drives, make sure that also includes all SD cards, USB thumb drives etc, and power the Mac back on, then connect back only the external drive. Does that drive show up? Run the mount command in a Terminal window (it will just show what volumes are mounted) , and paste the text output of the mount command here.

--- ---

Assuming you do want to reformat the drive... then...

We cannot guess how much data is on the external drive and how much free you have on your system drive. But ideally you would backup separately to the local system drive and cloud storage. The old rule of thumb is unless it's backed up three times, in separate places, it's not backed up.

And if your internal drive is a fast SSD you could (should?) be working your sessions from there without needing an external drive. Simpler and less things to go wrong, the current situation case in point. Then use some combination of external SSD, HDD, and cloud backups. And be careful with cloud backups, a file dragged into an cloud mirrored folder on you local machine is *not* separately backed up to the cloud.