View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Getting More Stereo Width

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Dave, I was reading about the pan laws and all of that where do you make those adjustments.....Sys Pref????

Do you pan your stereo drums hard right and hard left...???
I have always done that and then was reading that article and someone said to pan them only to about 10 and 2 - then put keys and BV's and other stuff all the way out on either ends....to help with the "widened perspective"..... i haven't tried it yet...still at work...but

What do you think? thanks.
There's a philosophy you hear sometimes that it's unrealistic to place various drum elements or even the room fully out to the side. I read a Glyn Johns interview where he says he likes to imagine himself in a rehearsal room with the band; the drums are in front of him, not surrounding him. I think you do whatever you do to make the musical experience as cool as possible. If you've got something interesting ping-ponging between the chording instruments, and you want those hard right and left, then maybe you're obscuring the field with any other things that are also far out to the extreme.

You make rules and you break them. I've read threads where guys say they only pan to one of three positions, hard left, center, or hard right. That's for sources. Then any reverbs you leave in stereo are more audible in the spaces. You can also choose to put the verb for a specific instrument only behind that one instrument, so it's not going into the general soup. It's like guiding the argument toward a point you want to make. You can do these things so that the event you really want to hear is as uncluttered as possible.

Definitely make it happen in mono. You can do 90% of the balancing and EQ work in mono quietly, then have fun blowing it up at the end.