View Single Post
Old 09-24-2021, 10:10 PM

Default Re: M1 Mac Mini running Atmos Renderer 3.7.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixchump View Post
Well, I'm running an external machine to run the renderer because I kinda hate the Dolby Bridge. Using it, means that you're unable to use any hardware inserts, can't do a last minute overdub, you have to make a substantial change in terms of IO when you go between tracking mode and mix mode, you have very limited ability to route audio around your system (of course ProTools will only support ONE playback engine device, meaning that you cannot choose one source for inputs and another for outputs unless you use a super-flaky aggregate setup), and if you're monitoring through the Dolby Bridge, it's very painful to do regular editing & mixing tasks with the round-trip path of the renderer to your monitoring system.. It's fine for learning, etc., but I bet you'd be hard pressed to find a single pro facility running the bridge in their Atmos mix room (unless it's a small suite...)

Anyhow, happy to report that M1 is rockin' for this task!

I would have thought the vast majority of Dolby Atmos content created in Pro Tools comes from DAPS and DAB. DAB certainly isn't perfect... but then again, either is the prospect of spending $14,000 on hardware to achieve pretty much an identical result in many cases.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.