View Single Post
Old 05-26-2022, 06:28 AM

Default Re: Question regarding both HDX and Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
Native is subject to buffer, protocol, converter delay, and driver. VIs are only affected by output latency, true. At 256 buffer that's about 9ms with Carbon and about 6ms with HDX. An Apollo WITHOUT LLM enabled (monitoring straight through PT and not using Console) is 6ms output latency at 256. Quantum is 5ms.

I agree Carbon and HDX aren't terrible for VIs, but if that's the focus they should be avoided, since native systems will provide superior latency for less investment.

However, HDX minimum buffer at 48kHz is 64 still, IIRC, while native interfaces are 32.
Taking all the above into consideration, the *absolute minimum* output latency is 4ms for Carbon, 2.5ms for HDX, 1.5ms for Apollo, and sub 1ms for Quantum.

Keep in mind this whole thread is about *native* plugins for input monitor paths with Carbon/HDX vs Native interfaces. Native is built for this and performs better. If we're talking audio input monitoring then DSP would come into play and Carbon (and, to a lesser extent HDX) would prove far superior to native RTL.
great to know.

when you say 4MS for carbon, I presume that's at 64 buffer...
but what sample rate? If that's 96K, that's very high.. if 48k, that's great. I can live with that for VI's.

Edit, just saw your more recent posts... I can't live with 7ms output for VI.. so that's scratched. I am always on the look for an all in one and never seem to find it. It just means the native driver side of carbon needs tons of work, IMO.
I think I am just going to get an intel second hand imac pro which will work with everything and continue to use my UADs in bootcamp with PT, as imac pro's work brilliantly with bootcamp and are quiet as (10 core model). I see one going for less than half what I originally paid for my 8 core lol..
Windows hasn't worked out with the Apollos as TBolt 4 is not compatible with TB3 adapters, so I have been using older USB devices and it's been a pain.
or I'll sell all my UAD gear and just get the new X6 or X8. Maybe that. They work in TB4 ports.
The lowest output latency on Apollo thunderbolt gets very low, even at 44K.