Thread: Workflow!
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Workflow!

Kind of an ambiguous question, no? I like to record 3 complete passes, punching in to make each as solid as possible. Then go thru and comp to a single track. Most of the singers I work with are not so great and if they don't deliver a killer track by the third take, I know they won't ever, so it becomes up to me to make a good final with what I have.

Once that is done, I will go thru the entire track and even out the lowest and hottest sections with the Audiosuite GAIN plugin(so the vocal hits the compressors more evenly. Next, I run parts(or the entire track) into Melodyne and do manual pitch correction(if needed). Once that is done, I fly the tuned track back into the session and spot it onto the track on another playlist. By duplicating the comp playlist(before tuning) I can use the un-tuned audio as a reference for spotting the tuned audio in the exact original position in the timeline. If I need any Elastic Audio fixes, those get done last by taking the parts that need EA, and copying them to another track. Once the fixes are made/rendered and sound good, I paste them back to the final comp track. By doing the EA edits on a separate track, if the audio gets garbled by EA artifacts, I can delete it and try again(if you use EA on the main track and ruin it, you have screwed yourself). Someday, hopefully, Elastic Audio will get better enough that it doesn't ruin the audio(at this time, it seems to ruin about 25% for me, hence the routine of copy>fix>render>paste.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave