View Single Post
Old 04-26-2000, 03:01 PM

Default Re: ADAT BRIDGE/DIGI PERFORMER TO PT

Well, I guess if you have to do it that way you can. But one way or another he is going to need the disk space--whether he bounces the files or re-records them into your system. Maybe he could use your drives( or borrow or rent drives) to bounce the files and then import them into PT. Maybe he could just do a few songs at a time.

He has his DP files backed up right? Personally, I would even install DP on your computer, load the DP files and bounce them on your system and then import them. This would save him from bringing his rig into your studio.

Keep in mind, if you transfer via lightpipe, you're not going to be able to acheive sample accurate transfers (which may not matter that much.) And the ADAT bridge is only 20-bit. (also, may not matter, if he recorded his tracks at 16-bit.)

Having the PSX-100 as master clock is a good start. Connect the word-clock out to the 2408 word clock in. Make sure the ADAT bridge is configured correctly("digital" sync) in your DAE hardware setup. I think the ADAT bridge can get the sync from the PSX-100 via SPDIF or via the 2408 via lightpipe.

You will also need your MIDI interface to send SMPTE to his MIDI interface. Then select "slave to external sync" in Digital Performer. Make sure your frame rates all match up. Hitting record/play in ProTools should send sync to his system.

In regards to OMS configurations, the systems should be fairly independant of one and other. I don't think you will have to change your OMS config, or his OMS( or FreeMIDI) config. Just make sure you are able to send smpte (MTC) from your interface to his.

Sorry if I left anything out, I have never done this exact thing before, I am thinking off the top of my head.

Oh yeah, have you thought about bouncing the files in DP and importing them into PT?

------------------
Chris Knight
nyc