View Single Post
Old 09-18-2021, 04:53 AM

Default Mastering - suite versus individual plugins

This thread isn't about having a discussion of what mastering is/isn't or that someone other than the person who did the recording (me) should do the 'mastering'. What I'm wondering about is would using an all-in-one suite like Ozone (regular) bring anything to the table versus using individual plugins? I ask because I have a loyalty offer of a crossgrade from any iZotope product (and I have several) of $69 US (which is good until the end of this month) for Ozone 9. I know that's not big bucks but would it really do anything useful for me?

I have almost everything from Fabfilter, a whole bunch of plugins from Plugin Alliance (Amek. elysia, Millenia, SPL), etc. Have several flavors of Pultec-style eq's, a Baxandall EQ, eq's that can do API proportional EQ at the push of a button. Same thing with compressors: feed forward/feed backward, vari-mu, regular comps. My limiter of choice is Fabfilter Pro-L. I know Ozone 9 has other modules I haven't covered. Keep in mind I work ITB.

I use Wavelab Elements for cd assemblage. Being it only has 2 insert slots for plugins per individual song I do my heavy 'mastering' in PT so I don't have to worry about having an adequate number of spaces for plugins. And this brings up an interesting point: would there be any benefit to 'mastering' in Ozone seeing as how iZotope markets it?

The last bit to this is: considering the low loyalty price I have to wonder if there's an Ozone 10 coming? It's been what 2 years since Ozone 9 dropped and there's RX9 due in October. Different products I know but still if they're doing a whole number update for one would they do the same for other products?

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 09-18-2021 at 05:08 AM.