Thread: Latency and I/O
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2016, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Latency and I/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael c View Post
We run at 48k with a 128 buffer on a TDM system. Musicians and singers have never had issues with that setting.

As we move more than likely to a Native HD system this year, I was wondering if there is any added advantage to staying with an Avid interface vs other manufacturers strictly on the latency issue and not sound quality.
No.

And even if you ran TDM system with a 0 setting (TDM-only) it would still not be zero latency, albeit very fast without plugins. In real life, though, I found out that I usually used ~350 samples for TDM processing, which is +7ms and nobody had a problem with it "because TDM is so fast".

Now I use HDN and it gives me sub 2ms roundtrip at 96k and all the native processing I can run on the CPU. But somehow someone managed to hear a delay on her cans. (needless to say I did nothing but said I made it faster and the problem disappeared)

The real advantage of HDN is its DigiLink connectors, which makes it possible to connect 64 Avid i/o ("use your old boxes" has worked for me so far) but if you're fine with 3rd party 32 i/o limitation you could very well use some other brand converters and have lower latency than Avid's.

But as said, that really serves no purpose. Anything faster than 10ms (total) should be fine with artists.