View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 02:35 PM

Default IMPORTANT note for users of Gearbox plug-in

I thought it would be useful to pass on some information to any users of the Line6 GearBox RTAS plugin.

After pulling what's left of my hair out, and almost thinking that I had lost an entire session, I have found that if the Gearbox plugin is inserted on a track and you try to open the session WITHOUT having your Line6 device plugged in and active via USB the your session will crash when it is trying to read the overviews as it's building your session edit window. In my case, as soon as I plugged in my Toneport UX2, and reloaded the session everything was fine. For some reason, PT won't just deactivate the plugin (as it does if it can't find the plugin), but it will crash the entire session. The error message that comes up in WinXP is simply that there is an Access Violation and that ProTools needs to close, citing an error in the dae.dll file.

As for troubleshooting the session, I created a brand new session, and imported my session data from each track individually. It seemed an odd coincidence that only my three tracks that had Gearbox on it were to blame. After plugging it in via the USB cord, and reloading the session, everything came up roses, but for a span of 30 minutes, I thought that I had lost months of work.

Call me a dumbass, but I would hate for other DUC users to start formatting drives and the like, so my 'almost' loss is the DUC's gain.

Peace,
Jeff