View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 10:42 AM

Default EQ3 Not recalling/saving settings

Hi,

Today I have discovered a terrifying issue on my pro tools rig and cannot find anything online which suggests anyone has had the same problem since an issue with Ptools 6.9 where HF and LF Q and gain settings weren't being saved.

I run an HD3 PCIe, on a 2007 Mac Pro quad 2.66 mac. One 96i/o with an apogee Trak2 connected optically and an 888 via the legacy port.

I've been using pro tools for 15 years and consider myself a fairly competent user both operationally and also technically in terms of maintaining the systems I run.

My system runs HD V8.1.1 and has 2 admin logins for myself and the guy I share my studio with.

My login has been prone to an increased number of crashes over the last few months and the intention was to perform a fresh install but last week I discovered a worrying issue that has scared the c**p out of me.

I have noticed on a number of sessions of late that I've had a number of Digi EQ3 7band eq's with no settings. I didn't think much initially... I thought perhaps I had just put one on and been distracted... that is until last week.

I had used an EQ3 7band to dull down a drum bus and turn it down 2db at an a&r guys request. I sent an updated mix the next day and he asked if I had turned the drums back up. I assured him I hadn't but when I went back, I fount the EQ had reset (zero'd) itself. I looked across the session and 3/4 of the EQ3 7bands had done the same thing... I had to go back to much earlier sessions to find the settings and whilst I couldn't use the session import function to just import the settings, it would let me import the settings if I imported both the channel's inserts and the settings to my destination track.

As it turns out I am in the studio today loading up sessions where mixes have been approved but I need to deliver stems for my completion fee to be processed and it turns out 3/4 of the EQ3 7 Band eq's I've been using on at least the last 2 albums I have mixed have been reset at some point in the process... whether this is a result of crashes or what I cannot tell but it is one of the most worrying things I have ever seen.

Unfortunately I use the EQ3 7band for almost all my basic eqing and is a go-to for subtractive "cleaning up" eqing. In a lot of cases it isn't doing much... just a little filtering so whilst it's worrying to see that I haven't noticed the processing going during the mixes, it's also subtle stuff that mentally, once I've "tidied" the sound I somewhat "write it off". To see so many of these settings gone is frightening.

My system runs OS10.6.8, ptools HD 8.1.1, The version of EQ3 I have is 8.0

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

cheers

Richard