View Single Post
Old 05-01-2021, 11:41 PM

Default Re: MTRX Studio with Dante on the secondary Ethernet port on an unmanaged switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Negative.

On a redundant Dante network, both ports transmit all of the same data, audio and control at the same time. They are two separate networks that work independently. What you've done is create a broadcast storm by connecting the primary network (the one with the DVS devices and the AVIO) to the secondary network. Which is why you can't get Dante Controller to connect to anything.

For Dante networks that run in redundant mode, BOTH the primary and secondary network ports will connect to their own switches (not the same switches). You will need two of the same switches to run redundant.

You can enable the two Dante ports on the MTRX Studio to run in "Daisy-chain mode", which makes them work on the same network, basically, an input port and an output port. You connect the MRTX Studio in-line with the rest of the network devices, without the use of a switch.

You can only Connect DVS devices and AVIO devices to the primary network. And it used to be that you could only connect one DVS device to the Dante network at a time, but I think that's changed in recent years.

Without a network switch, you will have to run in Daisy Chain Mode. I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, run in redundant mode with two switches. And you need to use a managed switch also. I recommend the NetGear GS108T or GS108PE if you need PoE. They are about $60. The Cisco SG300-10/350-10 is also highly regarded and an industry standard for managed network switches for use with Dante.
So I need to run in redundant mode with two switches. That's exactly what I am trying to do here. My main network is what the first MTRX Studio port is connected to. This is where most of my data traffic occurs, like internet traffic, file transfers, etc. It is also a network that has my router dealing out IP addresses through DHCP.

My second port on the MTRX Studio is hooked up to an unmanaged switch, and the only other things connected to that switch are two dedicated DVS ethernet connections and a Dante AVIO connection. I have been trying to interpret this Avid documentation properly:

Quote:
MTRX Studio is equipped with two GigaBit Ethernet connectors and an internal Ethernet switch, a controller port and a port for IP Audio Dante I/O. The network connectors can operate as two “parallel” connectors for the internal switch or as dual connectors for redundant IP audio operation. When operating in parallel, controlling the unit is done using Net port 1. MTRX Studio has one to three different IP addresses. One for the unit control using DADman software and one or two for the IP audio in single or redundant
mode respectively. The network configuration is managed separately for the controlling interface and for the IP audio interface, and can have different configurations. The controlling interface is used for controlling MTRX Studio from DADman, and the IP audio interface is used for interfacing IP audio in a network.
DADman has no "parallel" setting, and I assume this is referring to the "switched" setting. If not, I cannot find a "parallel" setting for the life of me. When I changed to the switched setting, everything hooked up to my unmanaged switch received 192.* IP addresses all of a sudden and my MTRX Studio would not show up as accessible in Dante Controller. I'm assuming the two ports are actually on the same network in switched mode, which is why my router can see them and give them IP addresses.

Again, I have two separate switches here, and I'm trying to get all my Dante traffic put on my small separate unmanaged switch with static IP assignment while my main network with its DHCP server is connected to the MTRX Studio's control port. Is there really no way to do this?

Also, what exactly is Daisy Chain mode? All I see are switched and redundant modes.