View Single Post
Old 05-05-2019, 09:00 PM

Default Re: feel like I'm outta options :/

1 - I'm interested in what auth you've tried. Considering iLok integration doesn't curb piracy (the only reason I can imagine they integrate with iLok) I don't understand the extra complexity. It's 1FA relying on a third party to secure what, exactly? I'm not able to defend that decision Hardware auth definitely has it's place, but I'm not seeing how this is it.
2 - we must write very different software (https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=19271569, flight firmware, etc) I remember shutting down a server that was an early software based pbx in the mid 2000's. It had been operating fine for 17 years, and had 1100 days of uptime when i shut it down. Performed all functions flawlessly, just needed to add more lines than it could handle.
3 - All my files are backed up, exporting the wav's into a new DAW isn't impossible, just un wanted. Is it important? not to anyone besides me. Is it worth th e current hassle? so far, no. a move to an open source DAW would likely have been quicker than the road I've taken. I also see a ton of stories where ZDT isn't enough though: https://www.reddit.com/r/audioengine..._stop_all_the/ anecdotally, avid (not ilok) jut got back to me 48 hours after I contacted them. I'd be laughed out of a job if I had SLA's like that.
4 - i think we think the same page here
5 - this is probably true, elastic time was the main reason for the move to PT8.
6 - I've owned one since PT7, and am assuming it's what failed (Os still see's and accesses it fine as far as i can tell). It's only been in three pc's it's whole life, an hasn't moved from this one since 2014. but somehow, still failed. forcing me to have backup's of third party hardware just to launch software I own, by every measure, is unreasonable. Not even my OS requires that. Certainly no mission critical software I've ever been a part of.

My card (delta 1010lt) doesn't have support beyond win7, in fact its the only reason I still have a win7 box. Avid has gone to a needless subscription model. It looks like there's drivers for linux. This isn't my job, and they've priced them selves out of being worthwhile softwarefor me. I appreciate your comments, but at this point I think I'll say so long avid.