View Single Post
Old 02-04-2023, 05:42 PM

Default Re: AAE 9073 error - sound cutting out and freezing on multitrack

OK sounds like you are doign good stuff and may be heading for a Windows install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahughes3 View Post
Not entirely sure I understand. I installed all plugins to a completely separate folder on my Hitachi drive. They are not inside Pro Tools. Is this what you meant or did I misunderstand?
Installed? you mean moved? I want you to be very clear on this as incompatible plugins that you are not even using in a session can cause CPU problems by just being installed in Pro Tools. Just removing plugins from use in your session is not enough of a test.

You just need to move *all* .aaxplugin files (well they are actually directories but made to look like files) out of the plugin folder. Which is C:\Program Files\Common Files\Avid\Audio\Plug-Ins . Normally folks just move them to the "Plug-Ins (Unused)" folder. You have to move, not copy those files, leave nothing in that plugins folder.

All Pro Tools plugins need to have been originally installed on the C: drive. You cannot change where you install plugins. But that does not matter now, just move every .aaxplugin file out of the folder mentioned above. Then trash prefs for good measure and start Pro Tools. It should then have no plugins available for you to use in Pro Tools. Even if this does not fix the problem, leave it like that as you test other things.

You are right, the create new admin user is not in the Windows troubleshooting guide, it's in the Mac one but still one I'd try, and it should likely be listed in the Windows guide. It helps find cases of toxic startup/background processes, cases of where preferences/databases are not being trashed properly and a few more things. But with such bad CPU errors with such low workload on a system like this something else is likely wrong, you should be able to run a few tracks on any system without needing to even needing to optimize stuff etc. as long as you are running few lightweight plugins or no plugins. The leading candidates for problems like this are incompatible/buggy plugins likely followed by non-ASIO interfaces (esp. trying to run them at smaller H/W buffer sizes)... and you've already excluded that.

Oh and two more paranoid things I'd double check make sure any and all antivirus software is completely disabled or uninstalled, including Windows Defender. And make sure you are not saving your session into a folder that is backed up to Google Drive or OneDrive etc.

Quote:
I think I might just do a clean install onto a new SSD and keep the system separate to program files etc. I'm running out of motivation and ideas.
Right, if you have done everything mentioned then heading for a Windows install (make it as clean and basic as possible to start with) is likely a good call, it's not worth trying to keep messing with stuff you may never find.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-04-2023 at 06:11 PM.