View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Using VCAs on SC48 as "input faders"

I'll give you another idea how to use VCA's on a SC48 for a smoother ride. This is how I do it. I think it thru, what channels I would like to see at a given moment and then create VCA's accordingly. Not for mixing using VCA's but for using VCA "spill" function to access channels FAST. So, in my case, the first VCA will be labeled MAIN and will include all the "most wanted" channels (including FX returns) and I obviously keep it under 17 channels... So in my case it will be something like: Kick, Sn Top, Sn Bottom, Hat, Bass Mic, Bass DI, Gtr SR, Gtr SL, Key1, Key2, Voc Rev Return, Voc Delay Return, ect, ect. I always keep the Flex channel nailed to Main Vocals btw. When done, I'll assign the remaining channels that did not make it to the MAIN VCA group to remaining VCA's and I'll mix staying in spill mode.

So first double-click MAIN VCA, so I see the "best of" channels, and if and when you occasionally need to tweak the Toms for example you just select TOMS VCA and toms inputs pop up (we're in spilled mode remember), select MAIN VCA again and you are back at accessing your main stuff. Especially great as FX returns are right there as well. Even AUX masters can be spilled to the input side, when included in VCA, like a delay send for example.