View Single Post
Old 12-01-2021, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Freeze vs Commit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing View Post
Use Commit. It creates an audio file that becomes a permanent part of the session. Freeze makes a temporary audio file that disappears when you, or someone else un freezes the track. That can be inconvenient if you are not expecting it.

And, yes it can save resources. If you are using, say Trillian for bass, playing back the audio file is a lot less DSP intensive than having the instrument up.

Steve
Going along with that advice, Commit gives the option of keeping the the original track in an inactive state.
So you could opt to commit even on a temp basis and reactivate the original track if need be.

*Tip: Make sure to establish all your tempos before temporarily freezing too. Otherwise you'll have to unfreeze & re-freeze everything to adjust tempos while recording and that can interrupt a good recording vibe & workflow.

I use the Trilian bass module also. Sometimes two instances for different sections. Rock & Synth Bass trade offs!
As JFreak mentioned, I'll commit the instrument only to free up resources and THEN insert plugins on the committed track.
That way I have a "lighter" audio clip of the bass track that I can still experiment with plugin-wise (as the mix changes) or apply clip gain & fades during the mix phase.

When VI drums are done, I'll commit multi-output to separate audio tracks. Again, just the instrument plugin and maybe a limiter.
That way I can remix and save various versions of the unprocessed committed tracks.
After my instrument tracks are done, I usually have enough resources for mix plugins and would only need commit again if exporting as session stems.

Whether you choose to freeze or commit, restarting Pro Tools frees up the RAM allotted to previously active instrument plugins.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 12-08-2021 at 02:05 AM.