Thread: Frustrated!!!
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Frustrated!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurtool View Post
Hey thanks drumster. Not sure even what a VI is!! Can you please let me know? I might not even need to worry about VIs if im just basically recordng my band.

Thanks dude
No problem! I guess I should have clarified what a "VI" actually was! A VI is a short acronym for "Virtual Instrument". If you browse these forums long enough, you'll hear people talking about Virtual Instruments such as Superior Drummer, Kontakt 4, and Omnisphere. These are all essentially sample libraries or software synthesizers that can be triggered from a Midi controller/keyboard, or in the case of Superior Drummer, an electronic drum kit.

From the sounds of things, Virtual Instruments are probably not important to you as your goal is to simply record your band using Pro Tools as a tape machine. Given this fact, you will only need 1 external, FW 800 (7200 RPM) hard drive to record audio to and save your Pro Tools sessions. I only suggested the second hard drive because I thought you might be running virtual instruments. Based on your needs, however, it doesn't look like you need the second hard drive. If you did want to record a few VI's using some of the stock instruments that come included with Pro Tools i.e. Boom, Mini Grand, or Vacuum, you could always leave them on the system drive without any major issues.

With regards to connectivity, my suggestion would be to daisy chain the 003 off your external hard drive as the the firewire ports on the 003 aren't meant for hooking up hard drives. I believe that they even state this in the manual, so just make sure that the 003 is the last link in the chain. You will probably also need a FW400 to FW800 adaptor to connect from the FW 400 cable on your 003 to the extra FW800 port on your external hard drive. I hope that makes sense.

As for hard drive selection, either the Glyph PortaGig model that I suggested or the OWC drive that Matt Russell suggested would work fine. I've used OWC drives in the past and have had nothing but good experiences with them.

Let me know if you have any other questions!