View Single Post
Old 05-29-2023, 03:59 AM

Default Re: Advice on setup please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Malcangi View Post
First off, yes thanks, it does help! At least I now know that both options could work, it’s just working out which is more advantageous. Thanks for the third option but for roughly the same money, option 2 would be preferable, as I would need mic inputs and a headphone output in another room and ethernet would be a lot easier than mic and headphone cables.

Points above:
1. I may have to occasionally do some voice overs or ADR. Speakers will also be fed by Dante, so I could have the renderer output coming back into Dadman then out via Dante either directly to the speakers when tracking or to the Trinnov then speakers the rest of the time. As I understand it, the Trinnov has around 23ms of latency, which might be a problem when tracking. There might be other ways around this though.

2. With this option wouldn’t my playback engine be the DAD Core 256 (presumably via Coreaudio) and then this also as the input to the Renderer (and also the output from the renderer)? Routing with the DAB, Coreaudio, Dadman and Dante is where my knowledge is lacking! I’m working on the assumption that the DAB isn’t very reliable as far as sync is concerned or is that only when using it through Aux I/O? If it’s just the latter, would that make the advantage of option 1, the Sync HD and frame edge sync, rather pointless?

Thanks again, G
Hi, sorry for late reply, had a busy weekend😀.

Ok, Point 1: Do you already have the Trinnov or going to buy one? I assume that your speakers setup are going to be fed from the outputs of the Trinnov, so basically what you have to do is on DADMan Monitor Profile/Outputs you´re going to setup Dante (in a 7.1.4 layout) as outs to feed the Trinnov. Is that simple. On the same DADMAn Monitor Profile, under Sources, you can create various inputs that you then can toggle via the user GUI or via Eucon if you have any Eucon surfaces or the AVID Control app. Those inputs are going to be the main Renderer output in 7.1.4 (also known on the Renderer as Physical) and also the Live Re-Renders that you setup on the Renderer Re-Renders page, eg. 7.1.2, 7.1, 5.1, Binaural etc. Those inputs under Source in DADMAn, will be fed via Core Audio (see Point 2 bellow), coming from the Renderer, all you have to do is to match the channel numbers of the Renderer outs to the Sources inputs. Then they all get routed to Dante as mentioned above, to go to the Trinnov.
When your´re tracking, you´re not going to use the Renderer. You will connect your Mics to the Focusrite inputs and it´s coming out via Dante to the DADMan, where on the GUI matrix, you route it to any Core Audio channels that go via Thunderbolt to your computer/DAW track input. Latency here regarding the Trinnov is not a big issue, because the talent will be listening to the headphones connected to the Focusrite, so the only latency will be the Dante network, which is minimal. Also Cue mix, talkback and returns from the DAW will be going via Dante to the Focusrite. Meaning you go out of the DAW via Core Audio, route to Dante et voilá. The latency you´ve mentioned will only be noticed in your speakers, as it´s not going to pose any problem.

Point 2: Nope, Core Audio TB is not going to be your playback engine. Well, it can be, but I suggest you use the Dolby Audio Bridge, as the it´s optimized to carry the 130 channels out of the DAW, 128 to Bed/Objects, and 129/130 to TC, to sync the PT with the Renderer. You only choose one of course.
So, PT playback engine will be DAB and then on the Renderer side, Input will be DAB and Output will be Core Audio Thunderbolt that on the DADman will be routed as mentioned above. You won´t be needing AUX I/O at all, unless you want to feed the Renderer via DAB and some other device via TB Core Audio when mixing, but that´s up to you´re particular way of working or setup. In terms of routing, all available I/O on the DAD Core, will be available on the DADMan matrix, either on the Monitor Profile section or the non- monitor routings. Meaning that Thunderbolt Core Audio, MADI, ADAT and Dante will all be available for routing between them at the max channel capabilities of each, depending on sample rate. Plenty of options.
Regarding the Sync HD, not sure if it´s compatible or not, but all you could do with it is to use it to feed WC to the DAD Core and the Trinnov, as you lack any other AVID hardware to connect it to. Also it has been discontinued in favour of the new model, Sync X. If you already have one, fine, if not, the new unit is going to cost you....

OK, so, in my opinion there is a disadvantage regarding the Focusrite connections. If you prefer to use a CAT 6/7 to carry your signal instead of analogue cabling, which is obviously great, you will have to place it inside the booth, considering you have a separate room for tracking. So mics and headphones will connect there and talent has control over the headphone volume. Cool! But then, you will be lacking an headphone out to monitor Binaural and Stereo on headphones on the Control Room. So unless you buy two units, you´re going to have to split the signal at the booth and run an analogue cable back to the CTRL Room and lack the volume control, needing to do it in the DADMan GUI.

Also, check the small video on DAD website, at 0.55 you can see the DADMan matrix with all the available I/O present for routing:

https://www.digitalaudio.dk/PRODUCTS/CORE-256

Hope it helps.

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3