View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Re-learning to mix ITB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
Thanks for this - just out of interest what style of music are you mastering there?

I was thinking of full in your face pop which is limited hard, do these producers still mix to start with at very low levels?

Also i learnt something new there, didnt know you could have the master fader on its side big and fat like that!
Hi,

Thats a mix session on a house tune. only thing i might ad at the mixing stage is some compression, but not very much. i will place a limiter on for reference only and when bouncing down to take a listen etc, but i'll remove the limiter when i do the final bounce. and of course i'll always do the mastering in a new session with just the stereo mix.

Starting a mix at low level has nothing to do with the final mastered product being loud and in your face as you put it. that is very much a combination of good mixing and good mastering. A good mix will always relate into a good master, so getting the mix right at the beginning is essential. i would go as far as to say that a mix that isn't slamming the mixbus will always make a better master and leaving the mastering engineer the dynamics and headroom to work with will really help to get a better end product. don't try to mix and master at the same time.

As mentioned thats the Massey tools meter thats on the screen! what's good about it is you can modify it and make it almost any size and set the scaling for personal taste.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.