Thread: New Mac help
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2021, 11:56 AM

Default Re: New Mac help

I agree, very capable machine.

I don't want to be negative or anything, but I'd feel I'd be wrong if I didn' mention this:
The Mac Mini 2018, 2020 and 2021 M1 all have a issue with bluetooth functionality/range.

It's all over the internet, and to my knowledge, Apple doesn't recognize it as an issue. Here's a 26 page long discussion about it on Macrumor as an example:
Mac mini 2018 Bluetooth issues?

I've been thru four different mini models the last year, 2018 to 2021 M1 and they all have this problem with bluetooth. I goes like this:

You set up your mini on your desktop, connect the screen and set up the mac to recognize your Apple wireless keyboard and mouse. All is well.

You start to connect thunderbolt and usb units. As you do, you start to get more and more erratic behaviour from your mouse and keyboard might act strange, drop key strokes. If you take your bluetooth devices around the room, the loss of functionality is obvious, they fall in and out of connection.

Start unplugging TB/USB stuff and the problem gradually diminishes. Especially the two usb. You'll also notice you can make it better by standing it up on its side with the bottom plate facing out, and that the slightest little physical obstacle makes it worse.

Now, I have three sets of apple magic keyboard/mouse spread around the room, so it is possible to make it work. And I'm using two of the TB ports and one of the usb, and of course hubs. But if bluetooth functionality is important to you, you are hereby forewarned.

There are of course some simple fixes, including using wired devices, and getting non apple devices that have their own little bluetooth dongles. They work great.

Another little thing: the i7 version can get a pretty loud fan noise when you push it a bit, you really can't have that on your desktop while mixing! Never a problem with i3 and i5 versions. Not to mention the M1. It stays so cool, it's like magic. My simple fix; I set the fan speed manually with the free Macs Fan Control.