Thread: New Mac help
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2021, 09:27 AM

Default Re: New Mac help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
My opinion is that your two choices are too far from the sweet spot.

1 - The Mac Mini M1 (I assume you meant 2020 instead of 2018 since that is when the M1 model was introduced) is too advanced with its M1 processor that is not yet certified for Protools (although some have it working for the most part). Now, if you meant the Mac keini Intel 2018, then that would be a very suitable solution for you.

2 - The iMac model you listed (I assume you meant 27 inch instead of 287 inch) is too old to run the current OS and will have a limited future. As others have mentioned, you might need to upgrade some components like the HD to an SSD, etc. It also doesn't have Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports if I'm not mistaken, so that may limit your interface options.

Therefore you might look for a 2017-2020 model Mac (iMac, MacBook Pro, or Mac mini) with enough RAM. These will support current OS versions and the latest Protools version and give you several years of serviceable performance and compatibility. You should set a budget, but a good working system is more important.

After debate this is the Mac i'm going to buy... What do you guy's think

Apple Mac mini: Late 2018
64GB Memory | 512GB Solid-State Drive
3.2GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 Processor
Current Model
Used, Excellent condition
System Configuration:
Memory:
64GB PC21300 2666 MHz DDR4
Storage:
512GB Solid-State Drive
Networking:
Built-in 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi
Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet
Built-in Bluetooth 5.0
4 x Thunderbolt 3 Ports
Video:
Intel UHD Graphics 630 with 1.5GB VRAM

I should be good for a couple of years with this machine and be able to run big Complex Rock Mixes