View Single Post
Old 11-03-1999, 07:43 AM

Default Re: MOTU 2408 vs Digi 001

are any of you interested in upgrading later on? the 001 seems like something you will have to get rid of entirely, and trade in for a tdm system, while the motu stuff is so modular and will integrate into nealry anystudio setup that is already built or one that you build around it.

the way I see it is, if you do not own ANY other gear and don't want to use much in the way of outboard, mixers, adats/da's, etc. and are doing music only with no need for sync, then the 001 is great......pro tools interface is beautiful...keep in mind that all the features of all of these programs seem to be blurring together more and more!

If you want to have a daw that incorporates itself into a "real" studio situation, the motu hardware looks VERY appealing. Think about what you will want later on - I imiagine you will eventually buy a really good mic pre, more plug ins, midi interfaces, etc ANYWAY, so either of these two as a starting point (1224 or 001) is good. it depends on where you want to be later.

the whole thing with new computers is they are getting so fast, that by the time you want to trade your 001 in for tdm, you porbably won't need to spend 10k, because the newest processors will do it for you (more effects sends on more channels, no crashing, etc.) Just buy a new computer for 2k! if you have the motu hardware, it's still happening!

I am trying to think in terms of building up the studio, and what I will be happiest with in the long run, not just what happens to look cool at the moment.