View Single Post
Old 09-22-2021, 05:04 AM

Default Re: HDX Classic / Hybrid engine low latency bus routing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDorn View Post
Allright, allright... I searched about the whole forum on this topic and indeed read that for work with virtual instruments the 'classic HDX' mode is actually preferred over the new Hybrid Engine. But do you perhaps have experience with how this works in real world use? I can imagine that on paper it's a pity when you start with a funky fresh session, add an instrument track with a VI, and it already has some extra samples of delay in HDX classic compared to doing this in a native environment.

But will this stay steady once you're at a 100 track session with also native plugins adding 3000+ samples of delay to tracks. That's where it goes terribly wrong with plugins like LFO tool, arpeggiated VI patches playing back out of sync unless you 'Disable plugin delay' on the track (but this creates another problem because the actual played midi notes are not in time with the click anymore)

Long story short: is there any benefit with HDX when you try to produce a song with virtual instruments and audio tracks that have bpm-synced plugins like LFO tool, Effectrix etc on them. It's definitely not possible at the moment (unless you don't care about completely messed up timing haha) with Pro Tools native, so I'm wondering if it can be done with Pro Tools HDX

The variable isn’t HDX - it provides highly measurable and repeatable performance because it’s based in DSP. The native system, particularly with VIs will be the variable. HDX May help keep your native sample buffers low for longer… or it might not help much at all if your sample buffers are already low.

In any case, 3000 samples of plug-in delay in any session is a heck of a lot.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.