View Single Post
Old 09-16-2002, 04:08 PM

Default Re: The Midi implementation Story.

I too am experiencing difficulty (understatement) implementing a software sequencer (Cakewalk Home Studio or Cakewalk 9.0) with the Digi001 in Windows 98se.

I prefer being able to physically see my banks and sound libraries in a drop-down menu for each midi track, and then selecting it from that menu. It's one-stop sound shopping that software sequencers have and Pro Tools does not.

My problem is in recording (or simply hearing for that matter) ANY audio in Cakewalk without reconfiguring my entire midi system's audio outputs to the Digi001. In Cakewalk's Home Studio for instance, my only input options in a Cakewalk audio track are left, right or stereo "Digidesign Channel 1-2"; and my only output option is a "Digidesign Digi 001: Channel 1-2" A through D. (Not sure where the B, C and D output channels came from...)

This means I have to manually disconnect each sound module's output from the Digi001's rear panel outputs (channels 3 thru 8), and manually re-connect them to one of the 2 front panel inputs to get any sound every time I use it. And once connected to the front panel audio inputs, I get a single repeat echo of everything I play, and I'm not even using the Digi001's midi I/O!

It appears that Digi001's audio and/or midi driver will not allow me to select any Digi001 input channel other than the front panel Channel 1 or 2 inputs in my software sequencer. So not only can I not do ANY polyphony, but I have to manually rewire the system every time I want to make an instrument change. UGH!!! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I have a full midi SYSTEM (MOTU 8x8 MTP/AV, Roland A-37 keyboard controller, E-MU Proteus 2000, DR-660 drum machine, plus room to grow) as well as a full-fledged audio recording system (with midi'd Line6 PodPro & Digitech GNX2 processor.) All of my Digi001 audio input channels are used.

Is there ANY WAY for anything other than Pro Tools to access the other Digi001 audio input channels (preferrably in software) and if so... how? Or was my $800 investment in the Digi001 (and it's appearantly wimpy drivers) as a COMPLETE(?) audio AND MIDI digital studio workstation a waste of hard-earned dollars?

HELP!!!

Rags
003 Rack
MOTU Midi Express 128
Roland A-37 88-key Controller