View Single Post
Old 01-31-2021, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Need advice on a good way to quantize live drums w/wo plugins

I have an answer for you that will solve your problem ... and then some. There is a plug-in that will solve your problem ... I have a customer that uses GarageBand loops as well as recording himself playing ... say ... a bass-line in GarageBand. Of course ... not being a musician ... he not only would “drift” from the tempo as well as make mistakes note-wise. On top of that ... sometimes the selection of a particular instrument would not appeal to him ... but the virtual instrument choice in the app is limited. So he approached me with the following question:

Is there a way to change the wave files selected in GarageBand and turn them into MIDI files for quantizing ... note correction ... and perhaps select another virtual instrument of his choice and not be “stuck” with the GarageBand virtual instrument?

I had not ever needed to address this prior to his asking ... but I had often thought about doing something like this. The following is how I did it:

ProTools version 12
Celemony Melodyne Studio 4.0
Any analog recorded wave file

1. Bring up ProTools (or whatever DAW you are using ... the logic should work across the board).

2. Record any / all live tracks ... or load audio data into required tracks.

3. Add the Melodyne insert to each track. Melodyne comes as a standalone app ... but it requires extra steps since it is outside of your DAW ... better to add the insert. Perform the next steps for each individual track so you don’t get confused. It’s easy to do if you run this on multiple tracks simultaneously.

4. When Melodyne loads up and its app screen opens ... trigger the “Record” button ... which will remain in standby mode until you press the spacebar or transport “Play” button in ProTools. Melodyne runs with the ProTools track and records the analog data.

5. Once you’ve captured all the data ... stop ProTools and Melodyne will stop. You will notice now that the Melodyne data will move from a single recorded stream of data to many individual “blobs” (yes ... that what the data looks like and is what it is called)!

6. Now ... to work with this data ... you can move to the Melodyne screen and “double-click” anywhere within the data to hear it play, quantize, move blobs up or down on the screen to change the note pitch (example: C to C# or B ... or anything several octaves up or down ... including the slightest variation in the pitch)! Editing also includes changing note amplitude ... separating and combining notes ... changing whole melodies from Major to Minor ... and scales of other cultures!

7. After editing your data ... return to ProTools and press the spacbar or press “Play” on the transport to hear the Melodyne data along with the song ... as with any insert ... the Melodyne track will replace the original track ... any further edits to the original track will not be heard ... only edits in the Melodyne data track.

8. IMPORTANT: Melodyne data works like MIDI data for such edits as quantizing ... but it is not MIDI data. If you plan or want to ... you can save and export the Melodyne data track as MIDI data ... which will then be imported into the ProTools session as a new track. You will want to Mute or “Hide and Make Inactive” the original track ... since it is of no value to you now. From here you can now assign virtual instruments to the MIDI data from within ProTools (Xpand2, Komplete Ultimate, any virtual instruments you like using)! Now you have real freedom and endless choices! And of course ... once you export as MIDI data from Melodyne to ProTools ... you have all of the editing options such as quantizing data ... etc.

9. If the desired result for your analog data is to convert it to MIDI data within your DAW and select other virtual instruments that you like ... then just:

A) Capture the data in Melodyne
B) Save the data as MIDI
C) Export the MIDI data to ProTools
D) Quantize ... correct notes ... etc
E) Assign to a virtual instrument

This works beautifully ... and will work for you. For any support you may need please email me at:

[email protected]

Understand that I am a ProTools user ... so I will not know the “where and how” for your DAW if it is not what I use ... but I can certainly walk you through the process.

Good Luck!
Brother Reggie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk