View Single Post
Old 01-31-2021, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Need advice on a good way to quantize live drums w/wo plugins

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
Call me old fashion, but I sit down with all the drum tracks.... and across all tracks (treating entire drum kit as one instrument) using tab to transients, tab, cmd-e, nudge, tab, cmd-e, tab, nudge, cmd-e, nudge... across all drum tracks on "grid" mode.

Then, I switch to slip, go back, pull overlaps (on all tracks at once) back and create cross fades on every edit.

It's a painstaking manual process, but I can get through one song in a few hours. For a full length 10 song record, pack a lunch... but the results are very good.

I try not to make every transient fall on the grid, otherwise human feel is lost, but the ones that are far out, I certainly fix.

Then if that wasn't enough punishment, I put bass track under the kick-drum track, and do the same thing to the bass track, not for the fills and accent notes, but mainly on the notes that are supposed to line up with the kick.

It's brutal standard, low-level production work... but that's how I do it. I never learned beat detective or elastic audio... all done by hand.

You’ve pretty much described a manual Beat Detective process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk