View Single Post
Old 03-18-2021, 02:02 AM

Default Carbon and Mac M1 / Big Sur and other ?’s

Hello all.
I’m fairly set on a Carbon for my new recording rig.
I want to use it with a new MacBook Pro i9.
I’ve been on the interface hunt and considered from prism titan to lynx Aurora to merging Anubis to UA Apollo.
I’ve decided I don’t want to deal with a seperate mixer app like UA Apollo.
So Carbon seems like the best thing for me .
The last time I put together a pro tools rig, it was a Mac Pro/HDX system with a Burl mothership 24/32 for my bands studio. It works flawlessly and sounds wonderful.
Carbon seems to be the perfect solution for my small portable rig.
I’m a player for the most part and latency is very important to me as I record and overdub many real instruments.
From my research these are my concerns with Carbon:

-There seems to be a carbon fan noise issue in some cases. Some people mention it others are not bothered. I’m worried that my small space and things like schoeps mics in proximity might be a problem.
-Fan noise from the Mac also seems to be a carbon issue even when it’s only just plugged in. Apparently an app called “turbo boost switcher” solves this.
-there seems to be issues with delay compensation for hardware inserts. Apparently there is a software fix in the works from avid.
-biggest concern in the latency performance when using the carbon with the core audio driver and other DAWS. Apparently it gets like 12ms latency in this context.
The sub 1ms latency is only within pro tools. This is worrisome because I want to use it with ableton as well as pro tools . Maybe the “live link”‘software solves this??

Finally I’m wondering when the carbon will be M1 and or Big Sur compatible??
Having a hard time deciding on a Mac - MacBook vs Mac mini etc . I9 vs M1 etc

Any advice / experience is greatly appreciated !!

Last edited by darkwavo; 03-21-2021 at 10:15 PM.