View Single Post
Old 10-30-2021, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Do not import MP3 into PT 2021.10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
Hi Darryl,
Unfortunately it is a client-supplied file so I cannot share it. But I am more than happy to carry out any surgery on it.
I had no clue what causes Pro Tools to display the Type: "MP3" vs "Quicktime" so wanted to play around.

I've certainly seen where import shows "Type: MP3" or "Type: Quicktime". Looking through mp3s I have (mostly stuff in iTunes, no my iTunes is not mp3, it's mostly all ALAC, just some odd stuff in mp3). I found mp3 files purchased on Amazon Music that Pro Tools import reports as "Type: MP3" while most other files get remote as "Type: Quicktime".

I thought I'd run some quick tests with ffmpeg to try to mess with the MP3 files and see if I could change what import was showing. Files showing as "Type: Quicktime" in Pro Tools import had the encoded_by/Writing Library field set to "iTunes v6.x.x.x". But clobbering all the metadata did not turn "Type: Quicktime" to "Type: MP3".

But if I clobbering all the metadata in a file reporting as "Type: MP3" and then Pro Tools Import would say it was "Type: Quicktime" even when the encoder was actually Lavf59.8.100 from ffmpeg. So something to do with that metadata changes this file detection.

Playing with flipping around other things with these mp3 files, variable to fixed rate, other encoded_by values, changing from Stereo to Joint Stereo. Reencoding to the same bitrate, etc. and none of that changed what Pro Tools import was reporting for "Type". But this was a very quick and dirty test.

Since this seems to be a metadata thing I'm kinda doubting whether Pro Tools import reporting "Type: MP3" or "Type: Quicktime" is causing your problem. And I have no problems importing any of these files, including ones I've screwed with with ffmpeg.

But now I'm curious, and I wonder if Jeffro might be able to ask the developers just what Pro Tools import is looking at here to determine whether Type is "MP3" or "Quicktime"--I'm starting to wonder if this differentiation actually makes sense.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-30-2021 at 04:29 PM.