View Single Post
Old 08-27-2021, 03:01 AM

Default Re: AAX DSP / Plugin-Alliance question

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerbooty View Post
IRON seems pretty cool, but worth $300...? Guess I'm still looking...
Good case in point. Here's what I paid.

Your Order

1 SPL IRON $299

Subtotal $299
2020-11 Customer Loyalty Monthly Vouchers - $25 (Code: 2020-11-25-GC3EE) -$25
SPL Iron for $39.99 (Code: SPL-IRON-3999) -$259.01
VAT United Kingdom (20%) $3.00
Total $17.99

So if I was in the US it would have been $15.

I only bought it because it was hard to refuse at that price. I had demoed previously it as lots of people liked it but I was non-plussed. I'm not saying it is a bad plugin, just it wasn't doing anything much for me the day I tried it. You can try a plugin another day and it can be excellent.

So subscription is NOT for me. Why bother? Paying over and over for the same stuff?! It is NOT Netflix, sorry Steve Slate. I do not watch the same films over and over again. If I did I would buy them. Neither do I drink the same coffee over and over. It is a new cup of coffee each time, not the same one as yesterday. Slate is the KING of marketing in audio plugins. However, is isn't as savvy as Dirk at PIA would knows he won't get a single $$$ from me for subscription, hence he keeps the sales going

Plugins are big business. During the recent 'Flood Sale' over at PIA they sold 10,000 plugins over two days. Do the math, at say $10 profit a plugin that is $100,000 which is what Dirk quoted in royalties. I'm sure the sales price could have been much higher, at an average of $30 or more?

As much as I like the Softube stuff I can't understand their pricing. They can't be selling a quarter of what PIA are doing. As for UAD then it is extortion. Sure, some great and unique plugins but when you factor in the cost of the same code plus the expensive hardware to run it on...

So my advice is to demo the plugins, especially when they come up at the right price and buy them one a month or so if they seem like they might get used.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6