View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 04:19 AM

Default Re: Venue SC48 and Pro Tools LE

I'd like to weigh in on this one. We don't really use the virtual soundcheck primarily as a training tool. It is used primarily to tweak and prepare the show AND help the volunteer prepare for an upcoming performance. The people that I put in front of virtual soundcheck are primarily guys that have already 'earned' the position of FOH engineer. I do use the virtual soundcheck to 'introduce' new volunteers to the VENUE, but the real training goes on when they are scheduled as the A2 guy (or girl) at FOH. Thats when they really learn to INTERACT with the performers, which in my estimation is THE most important part of the job. What I really want to see is how do they react to the worship pastor, or a possibly demanding performer. If they react defensively, or bug out from the stress, that tells me a lot more than seeing how well they can tweak stuff in with virtual soundcheck. So, to sum it up, I don't think I need a full track count with virtual soundcheck to use it effectively as a training tool. May I suggest you use stems for everything except what group you want to focus on that week with training. For example, stem the band, leave all the vox as individual channels and work vox that week. Or, vice versa, stem the vox, leave the band as individual channels and train on tweaking the band that week. So on and so forth.

If you are having to make it work for the budget, you have to make a compromise. And sound quality is not where you want to compromise.

You can find a way to train effectively. How did we train before 'virtual soundcheck' anyway? The most important part of a person's training is impressing on them how to keep the performers happy. If those guys are happy, a bad mix can seem a whole lot better. If the guys on stage are not happy, then it doesn't matter how well that FOH mixer tweaked the virtual show. Time spent with a good FOH engineer in the heat of battle is FAR more valuable than dorkin around with the virtual soundcheck. The virtual soundcheck is a GREAT tool in your toolbox. Don't let it take the place of where the real training goes on.