View Single Post
Old 03-08-2022, 09:40 PM

Default Re: New "Mac Studio" finally enters the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswing View Post
I bought one this morning. I have two M Pro 5.1s running now. Pro TOols HDX on the main one, Vienna Ensemble Pro on the other. Both High Sierra. Both 48 gigs Ram, both cranky as an old drunk on Monday morning. I bought the Ultra version with max RAM, 2TB HD. Doesn't deliver till mid April here in Canada. Currently sorting out PCI chassis, which I guess would be the Magma EB3T Express Box. It seems to work with everything. Loads to learn, but it would be so wonderful to dispose of VEP. Does anyone here have the Magma Express box? I'd like to load one of the other slots with an NVMe card with four 2 TB SSD's for virtual instruments. Sonnet looks great but I'm not sure it's compatible with the Magma box. I wrote Sonnet to find out.
I realize Monterey isn't supported yet. Obviously I'll keep my current sputtering and wheezing Millennium Falcon running with more chewing gum, gnashing of teeth and the occasional whack to the dashboard.
As far as Thunderbolt cable length, frankly, I would glue the monitor(s) to my forehead if it meant no more crashes or random oddities. And to be able to run my VI's without VEP and without trepidation. And dream of dreams? No more 9171s.
Also, from what I've heard, the Apple Silicon machines don't need anywhere near as much RAM as the old Intel guys do. I have big Spitfire libraries, Arturia, Omnisphere, Ivory, Trillian etc.
10 core or 20 core?

That's kind of a big deal considering the 10 core is about half the machine. Curious to know who is going 20 core 128 RAM as that is what I am looking at.

Waiting for the real world bench marks with audio.