View Single Post
Old 01-28-2003, 06:11 AM

Default Re: Solid State Logic (SSL)

OH MY!!! What a SAD, SAD state we've come to. I can't believe that all these newbies and younger generation (and I'm not old... only 30) don't even know how basic signal flow works. They have been so saturated in the DAW world that they don't even understand how a console works.

An SSL is just a console. Nothing else. A DAW is just a multitrack with a lot of editing and mixing features. MOST pro's don't mix inside a DAW. They use a DAW to edit, do some processing, then they use it like a multi track. So... each track has an D/A output that goes to a line in on the console. Then the song is mixed on the console (not in the DAW).

It wasn't that long ago that mixing analog was our ONLY choice. I still prefer it, but unfortunately... so many "budget" studios have done away with nice sounding desks. I still do all my bigger projects that way. Actually... I still do my bigger projects to 2" Analog tape!

I know... what's Analog tape. I'm sure that's going to blow your mind, too [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

-Tom