View Single Post
Old 03-08-2005, 01:04 AM

Default Re: ProTools with OSX-- Are we going backwards??

Quote:
Yes it slows down (I´m on a G4 933) but - knock on wood - 10th of april and I will have a 1 year crashfree PT on OSX.
That´s more than I ever had with OS9.

Cheers Wolfgang
True, Im sorta in the same place BUT I have been thinking: Are the few crashes I had a week/month with OS9 THAT bad, considering all the slowdowns and MUCH LESS pro versions of PT and OSX? Im beginning to think that Id deal with OS9 crashes just for the beauty of the slim, snappy, plain old gray interface of PT. But then i wouldnt have ADC.. Hmm, but then I wouldnt have the pops and clicks of ADC in my audio files, Hmm.. But then I wouldnt have.......

Quote:
Well, one thing: I'm not missing OS 9 in any way shape or form. There are a few annoyances in the OS X system, occasional spinning beach balls, or SWOD, the spinning wheel of death, when opening plugins, crashes when a track track is record enabled/plugin (still with the cs8 update) but the overall performance is great compared to OS X. To be able to bounce a recording and work in the background, no restart after a crash, background processing, file managment and so on.

So no, I do not feel we're going backwards at all.
Maybe, but think of what we have LOST for extra stability of OSX. How can we be buying $3500 computers and $$$K Protools systems, but we cant have low latency and virtual instruments that work? Look in any magazine and 80% of its advertisements have to do with virutal gear in some way. None of it works professionally with PT on my $$$ rig.

Protools went from a simple tape recorder replacement for me that I wouldnt trust with much else (Pre-Mix Plus days), to an AMAZING virtual studio (with OS9 and Unity, and S.Cell, plugins, Masterlist CD, Logic Audio running in bgrnd reliably, solid MIDI, etc, etc) back to, um, a simple tape recorder replacement with no frills. Here I am now, and I cant even be sure that my MIDI will play back in time or that Ill even be able to EDIT or TRIM a midi note without some truly laughable happenings!

MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ř Cancellation!•