View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 05:01 AM

Default Re: Fellow Whovians - need your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
Try downloading DVD Decrypter and see if it will read the entire DVD. You could also try DVD Shrink and perform the deep analysis. Both are free programs which I have used to backup DVDs to my HDD>
Thanks but unfortunately Decrypter is Windows only and I have no idea what operating system Shrink is for as the website doesn't say and there's no way I can see to actually download the program. It just has this more than troubling link to click on to optimize one's system before installing Shrink.

Need solutions for Mac. Google comes up with possibly Handbrake to do the job but in what I've read of the documentation I don't see how to do that, if it even can. VLC won't do it either even though Google turns up an answer that it should but the directions don't work for the VLC install I have.

This all sucks as even though I could replace the dvd's with newer Blu-Ray versions the prices are all over the board with anywhere from $34 US for series/season one to $60+ for the rest. I am not that rich and the wife isn't all warm and fuzzy about spending that kind of dough from another product from BBC America. She asks how long will the replacement dvd's work given what happened to what we have now.

What even further sucks is this makes me wonder how long any kind of optical digital media will last? The cd's we burn, listen to, the dvd's we watch? With digital rights management you can't even burn safety copies.

QAPLA!