View Single Post
Old 03-21-2021, 10:18 AM

Default Automatically Copy Files on Import Preference should be default

Okay, I am going to suggest that it is time that the preference, “automatically copy files on import” in preferences should be the default setting.

I think I understand why this isn’t the default as disk space used to be much more expensive. However, nowadays, it is much cheaper and I would argue that not having this as a default setting causes way more problems than it avoids.

I taught in Pro Tools at a school for 8 years to hundreds of audio students and it was always a nightmare no matter how many times we covered changing this preference and doing save copy in.

If not making it a default preference, I think their should be an easily recognizeable way to quickly know if all of your files are in the session folder. For example, the Green file indicator in the tool bar could be orange in the situations where they are not all in the folder and it would be awesome to have an option to right click on it and say “copy all outside files to session folder”.

But my vote is to make this preference a default to avoid the millions of broken lives it will cause if it continues as is.

Any huge reasons why it shouldn’t be the default setting?
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio