View Single Post
Old 06-01-2003, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Employment for Pro Tool experts versus audio engineers

Quote:
Originally posted by kakaroto:
Man this is EXACTILY what is wrong with younger engineers.

**** being a Pro Smak expert. ITS JUST A TOOL! How many guys in the field that are now considered 'Mix Guru's" went to audio school?

Few.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Kakaroto, I'm not sure which of the above messages you were replying to, but I don't think any of them suggested that one would be fine with just certification. And as far as 'Mix Guru's' going to audio schools, I agree with you few. But. audio is a relatively new field as far as pedagogy goes. I believe the first degree program was University of Miami and thats under 30 years old if I'm mistaken. The Audio field has been around a lot longer than that. So when our said gurus were wanting to get into the audio field, there wasn't much alternative than to work up from janitor. On the other hand, electrical engineering and the like had been around longer than audio, so has music performance. Many gurus did have a background in either or both.

I am also skeptical on how studios still have staff janitors (most don't even have staff engineers any more); how many of them contract a cleaning company? Of those studios, how many of them are run out of a home? I don't hire a janitor for my house.

My opinions, looking foreward to replies.

-C