View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013, 03:16 AM

Default Tab to note/snap note to insertion

Can anyone recommend a solution for the following problem? It's one I encounter quite frequently and I'm struggling to work out the most efficient way of dealing with it.

Ok so we do all our drum triggering using DRT and a sampler (structure) loaded with samples from the drummer's own kit. This way we can choose to use the real drums, or the triggered drums, or a blend of the two, whichever is most appropriate for the genre/track. Good times.

But sometimes DRT can become confused - for example in the track I'm working on now where the beat is a 4-to-the-floor, so kick and snare fall together. On a few beats the kick has fallen fractionally earlier than the snare, and DRT has incorrectly generated a snare trigger too early. Since the difference is only a few samples it's not the end of the world when using triggered drums only, but if I try and blend the samples with the real snare occasionally the hits phase cancel. Bad times.

So I'm trying to correct the wrong triggers but can't find a good way of doing it. I tried to tab to each MIDI note and check it against the snare, but tab to MIDI note seems to only work in clip view in the edit window, and in order to then move the incorrect triggers I need it in note view. I tried grouping the real snare with the MIDI and using tab-to-transient on the audio, but whenever I move a MIDI trigger the focus switches to the MIDI track and the next tab then takes me to the end of the region instead. So I have to hit P after moving each note to get back to the audio track, and even that only works if I'm using the multi tool or the selector, if I've got the grabber on the next tab goes to the end of the region again. Which all in all is a bit slow. Also it would be nice if having tabbed to the correct transient I could ctrl-click on the note and have it snap to the playhead/insertion point like you can with audio regions, but again for some reason this only works in the MIDI editor and not in the edit window.

The upshot of all this is basically I can't find any quicker way of doing this than manually scrolling through and manually moving the incorrect triggers.

Does anyone have any suggestions?